In 1959, a group of progressive thinking men under the auspices of the Bucks County Federation of Trades and Industrial Council of Pennsylvania, (AFL/CIO), had the creative foresight to initiate plans for the establishing of the first Senior Citizens Activity Center for retired and senior citizens in Bucks County. The United Auto Workers (UAW) Union Hall, located in Bristol Borough, Bucks County, was the initial casual meeting place for Retiree’s and Senior Citizens.
In 1962 the Bucks County AFL/CIO Central Labor Council, (CLC), collaborating with members representing Labor, Industry, Business and the Community, decided to establish a physical Senior Center in Bristol Borough which was selected because of its high percentage of senior citizens. “The Association for Retired and Senior Citizens” was chartered and Incorporated as a Non-Profit Corporation on 9 September, 1959.
After many meetings, discussions, and set-backs, the first Senior Citizens Activity Center in Bucks County was established May,1962 at 201 Radcliffe Street, Bristol, Pennsylvania, 19007. The initial financing to support the Association was the result of weekly deductions from AFL/CIO members pays dedicated to helping Seniors in Bucks County and donations from Business and the Community.
In 1963, the Association was faced with the need of obtaining a larger and more complete quarters and The Wood Street School in Bristol, Pennsylvania was offered to the Association for $1.00 a year rent.