In 1959, Frank F. Flatch, President of the Bucks County AFL-CIO conceived the idea of a physical facility for Senior Citizens in the County of Bucks. The United Auto Workers (UAW) Union Hall, located on Otter Street in Bristol Borough, Bucks County, was the initial casual meeting place for Retiree’s and Senior Citizens. “The Association for Retired and Senior Citizens” was chartered and Incorporated as a Non-Profit Corporation on 9 September, 1959 and created the Bristol Activity Center. The initial financing to support the Association was the result of deductions from weekly pays of the union men and women belonging to the United Auto Workers (UAW) Union. These deductions were dedicated to helping the Senior Citizens living in Bucks County.
In 1962 the Bucks County AFL/CIO Central Labor Council, and a group of progressive thinking men and women, including representation from Labor, Industry and Community Leaders, decided to establish a physical Senior Center in Bristol Borough which was selected because of its high percentage of senior citizens. May of 1962, the “First Physical Activity Center” in Bucks County was opened at 201 Radcliffe Street, Bristol, PA.
In 1963, we were faced with the need of obtaining a larger and more complete quarters and The Wood Street School in Bristol, PA was offered to the Association for $1.00 a year rent. The Association raised the $35,000.00 that was necessary to pay for renovations and improvements to the Wood Street School. These funds enabled the Center to have excellent heat and lighting, activity rooms and a cafeteria for low-cost noon day meals.